There are many pros and cons of selling your home in the winter months. Here is a breakdown of the pros and cons to help you make an informed decision about the next move for you and help you not be nervous of selling!
PROS of Selling During Winter
- Less competition. With everybody settling into hibernation for the upcoming months, you may think selling your home in the winter is not worth the time or effort. However, with a lot of people pulling their homes off the market to avoid the anxiety of showings and house hunting themselves during an already stressful time of year, the list of available properties heavily diminish. The buyers are looking to buy with nothing in stock. While the action you get on your home may be less, your property may be a diamond in the rough for that perfect buyer.
- More serious buyers. Buyers looking during the winter months tend to be all down to business. They’re not looking for fun, they’re looking for the home that they’re going to be spending their fast approaching Christmas in. They want a quick closing with the least amount of effort.
- Holiday Decor. With the right holiday decor, you can really accentuate your homes most unique features. Christmas times is a favourite time of year for most, and having your buyers walk into a modern decorated home, with that classy holiday warmth, it will guarantee to pull those buyers right in.
CONS of Selling During Winter
- Maintaining access for viewings. The number one issue and pain in the butt for selling in the winter, is maintaining access to important parts of the property. You can’t always plan the weather, and with Nova Scotias intense snow falls, it is important to have your driveway cleared, you’re well and septic pointed out, and any entryway to the house to be clear. Simply so realtors and potential buyers have access to the home and anything important that needs to be looked at.
- Less buyers. During this time of year there tends to be less buyers.People tend to stop the search and enjoy the holiday season. Also avoid the inconvenience of maneuvering snow.
- Holidays. The holidays are both a strong pro and con in this matter. The major con is the holiday season being very busy. With friends and family in and out of the house, the kids home from school for holidays it is hard to get ready for a viewing on the fly and get out of the house.